- 60. Overcoming Industry Stereotypes in Your Career with Shannah Game
Do You Feel Like Career Stereotypes are Standing in Your Way?
***This is part 2 of a back-to-back podcast. To listen to part 1 visit Shannah's podcast at Millennial Money Podcast.***
This week I sat down with CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, podcaster, lecturer, and award-winning financial strategist Shannah Game who is on a mission to revolutionize how millennials think, act, and feel about their finances.
Shannah Game is host to the universally popular and top-ranked iTunes podcast, “Millennial Money” with listeners in 164 countries and over 4 million total downloads. Millennial Money has helped millions of listeners demystify money topics in a playful and approachable way and features interviews with musicians, authors, chefs and entrepreneurs to help inspire listeners to go out and achieve their dreams regardless of their budget.
Aside from her podcast, she is an entrepreneur at heart, starting her first business, Hometown Cinema, Inc. at 19 while in college at Indiana University that helped over 130 students get jobs and internships in the entertainment industry. Shannah is a Lecturer in Finance in California State University Northridge, where she empowers students to take ownership over their money from a young age. She is also the owner of a company that creates original personal finance media content and is an accomplished financial writer and speaker. Her financial expertise has been highlighted in articles for Women’s Health, Money Magazine, Teen Vogue, MSN Money, Reuters, Bankrate.com, Refinery 29, CNBC and Yahoo! Finance to name a few.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Shannah’s unique roa to becoming a CFP®
- How Shannah’s career path lead her to become a professor for Cal State Northridge
- What led to Shannah launching Millennial Money Podcast and the unique topics discussed
- Men and women’s different perspectives on money
- The strides that are being made by women in a male-dominated industry
- How Shannah empowers women through her podcast
- The importance of a solid support system
- The power and significance of a great mentor
- How to fight for yourself against industry traditions
- Shannah’s opinion why there aren’t more women in financial planning
- Why you should embrace your inner salesperson
- How Shannah approaches money topics with her students
- Why Shannah uses real life financial experiences when teaching
- The teaching style Shannah’s students are most receptive to
LINKS WE MENTIONED ON THE SHOW:
- 2018-06-18 07:00:00 UTC