- Episode 43 - Walter Cummings
Episode 43 features composer and publisher Walter Cummings. Walter and his wife Janet co-founded Grand Mesa Music Publishers in the early 1990's and have not only survived as a business in a competitive industry, but have had 25 years of nearly continuous growth. Walter shares his story and some of his thoughts about what has made his business so successful.
- Walter’s background growing up in Mississippi and his journey from band director to composer to publisher including a surprising link to an earlier podcast guest.
- Walter’s willingness to take risks and how that has been a large part of the success of Grand Mesa Music.
- How the saying “You must be present to win” led to the growth of Grand Mesa Music and led to a meeting with Randall Standridge at the Arkansas Bandmasters Meeting
- Advice for composers who might want to find a publisher, including some tips for keeping a fresh cache of ideas available for new works.
Walter Cummings (b. 1953) has taught band for 14 years at the college, high school, and middle school levels in Mississippi, New Hampshire, and Colorado, and is owner of Grand Mesa Music.
- 2018-01-15 05:01:00 UTC