- 049 | Emily Thompson, Being Boss on why being boss requires vision and hustle, the importance of setting boundaries and being open to saying yes to the right opportunities
Emily Thompson is an author, educator and web designer. She’s the founder of Indie Shopography and co-host of the Being Boss podcast, where she inspires, writes and curates content to help creatives own their path and be more boss. With over 3 million listens, the impact of the podcast inspired Emily and her business partner and co-host on Being Boss, Kathleen Shannon to write their first book called Being Boss: Take Control of your Work and Live Life on your Own Terms.
This episode is a fun one and we talked about some key topics in the book. Emily shared her thoughts on why being boss requires vision and hustle, the importance of setting boundaries that align with your values and why you need to do the work.
ON TODAY’S EPISODE:
- The biggest misconception that people have around being an entrepreneur
- The career path that has led Emily to multiple businesses, an amazing podcast, and a book
- How she met her podcast co-host, Kathleen Shannon, and how they grew their “business bestie” relationship
- Starting the Being Boss podcast & the inspiration behind it
- What lead to Emily & Kathleen deciding to write a book & how their experiences shaped it
- How Emily balances being both a visionary and an implementer
- How values set the stage for decision making within business
- The advice Emily has for people pleasers who want to say “yes” to everything
- The red flags people experience when they need to set better boundaries
- Emily’s definition of success
- What’s next for Emily and the Being Boss brand
“My life probably looks a lot easier to some people than it actually is.” - Emily Thompson
“Most successful people have super windy roads that get them to the place they are now.” - Emily Thompson
“Once you make that first leap, all the other leaps are easier. “ - Emily Thompson
“I understand that I have to know what those day to day tasks are, in order to reach that big vision, and so it was a practice of finding a system that worked for me, and then just implementing it, day after day after day.” - Emily Thompson
“As creative entrepreneurs, we live our work, and our work in a lot of ways, defines who we are.” - Emily Thompson
“If you have some good parameters around what you allow yourself to say yes to, you can say yes with confidence and no resentment, to things that are going to fit, and you can say no with confidence and no fear, to the things that don't fit.” - Emily Thompson
“Once you are good at holding your boundaries, it's so much easier to be fluid and maintain control.” - Emily Thompson
“Just because somebody else is doing it, does not mean you need to do it. You need to do what is best for you, your company, your business, your circumstances, your family.” - Katie Hunt
“My success looks like doing whatever I want to do, but also being super productive while I'm doing it.” - Emily Thompson
JOIN THE TSBC FAMILY:
Do you want to scale your business and add new revenue streams? Are you ready to get a handle on your cash flow and tuck money away for retirement?
Maybe you are interested in increasing your visibility and fine-tuning your marketing outreach? Perhaps you have a team that you want to nurture or need help building your team?
Our newest on demand program, Paper Camp+ can help you with all of these things and more. The program includes 5 keynote presentations and 2 panels from a wide range of business experts. You can watch what you need, when you need it most and revisit the videos as often as you’d like.
This course was built for anyone running a product based business, and extends way beyond the paper industry. Enroll at www.tradeshowcamp.com/pcplus!
ABOUT PROOF TO PRODUCT:
Proof to Product is brought to you by Tradeshow Bootcamp and hosted by Katie Hunt. Since 2011, TSBC has worked with hundreds of product based businesses to help them up level, scale, and build profitable sustainable companies. You can find our show notes and additional resources at ProofToProduct.com. If you like what you heard today, please head over to Apple Podcast to leave a five star review and subscribe. Thanks so much for listening. We'll be back next week with a new episode!
- 2018-03-20 08:00:00 UTC