- 211: Meik Wiking - What Is Happiness (Lykke)? • The Lost Wallet Experiment • Helper's High
Meik Wiking is the CEO at The Happiness Research Institute and he's a New York Times bestselling author. He's written The Little Book of Hygge followed by The Little Book of Lykke (today's focus).
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is happiness?
- Overall happiness vs happiness in the here and now
- Establishing The Happiness Research Institute
- The benefits of co-housing
- Applying co-housing principles to living in a "regular" neighbourhood
- The importance of social support systems (friends & family)
- The impact of taking a week off from Facebook
- People care about their position in the social hierarchy
- Linking special purchases to a noteworthy occasion
- It's better to buy experiences vs things
- Forming a free-fun fellowship
- Decoupling wealth and well-being
- Building exercise/movement into our daily routines
- Shinrin-yoku/forest bathing
- On average, people who are self-employed are happier
- Tiger parents vs elephant parents
- Parents vs non-parents... who is happier?
- The lost wallet experiment
- Trust and happiness are linked
- The helper's high
- The free help guy
- Cooking and eating with friends
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won't cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on iTunes, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app*.
6. Share using the buttons below.
- 2018-01-16 19:13:20 UTC