- 139 Andrés Reséndez, The Other Slavery: Indian Enslavement in the Americas
In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. He also played a central role in the European adoption of Indian or Native American slavery.
When we think of slavery in early America, we often think of the practice of African and African-American chattel slavery. However, that system of slavery wasn’t the only system of slavery that existed in North America. Systems of Indian slavery existed too. In fact, Indians remained enslaved long after the 13th Amendment abolished African-American slavery in 1865.
In this episode, Andrés Reséndez, a professor of history at the University of California, Davis and author of The Other Slavery: The Uncovered Story of Indian Enslavement in Americas, leads us on an investigation of this “other" form of American slavery.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/139
- Episode 008: Greg O'Malley, Final Passages: The Intercolonial Slave Trade of British America
- Episode 064: Brett Rushforth, Native American Slavery in New France
- Episode 067: John Ryan Fischer, An Environmental History of Early California & Hawaii
- Episode 082: Alejandra Dubcovsky, Information and Communication in the Early American South
- Episode 115: Andrew Torget, The Early American History of Texas
Helpful Show Links
- Ben Franklin's World Facebook Page
- Join the Ben Franklin's World Community
- Sign-up for the Franklin Gazette Newsletter
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App
*Books purchased through this link will help support the production of Ben Franklin's World.
- 2017-06-20 05:00:00 UTC