- LH 138: Seasonal Backyard Chicken Care
#138: Busting Myths About Backyard Chicken Care
It doesn’t matter if you’re new to keeping backyard chickens or you’re a seasoned veteran – there’s always more to learn!
With each change in the weather, comes a whole new set of considerations about their care.
And dealing with extreme cold, extreme heat or even molting can make us worry about them…a lot!
To help us get a handle on seasonal care of adult chickens, host Theresa Loe brought on Kathy Shea Mormino – better known as The Chicken Chick®. She gives it to us straight when it comes to what’s essential in backyard chicken care and what she believes we should absolutely NOT be doing at all.
Her recommendations might surprise you!
You will learn:
- How to know if your coop is too cold or too hot
- If you should ever heat your coop in winter
- The best ways to add ventilation
- The best way to break a broody hen
- The truth about food-grade diatomaceous earth
- The truth about adding vinegar to the chicken waterer
- Tips for helping your chickens through their molt
- And more...
As always, you can go to www.LivingHomegrown.com/138 to get more resources, links to other chicken related episodes and a full transcript of the show in PDF format.
This podcast episode was brought to you by Theresa Loe's membership site, Living Homegrown Institute.
- 2018-03-17 01:27:16 UTC